The Gold Fields Collection was presented to Rhodes University for the Cory Library by Gold Fields of South Africa Ltd. This collection was assembled from 1944 onwards by the firm as a Rhodes Memorial Library and Museum. The Library was established to cover the history and traditions of the Company and its subsidiaries, successors to the original Rhodes, Rudd and Caldecott Syndicate, with special reference to Cecil John Rhodes.
The establishment took place as the Company was nearing its 60th Anniversary and Mr F.C.M. Bawden who was in charge of the Library from the early days until his death in 1968, was able to build up the collection both by purchasing and assembling materials in the records of Gold Fields and its subsidiaries.
The first deposit of the Gold Fields Collection was presented to Rhodes University for the Cory Library by Gold Fields of South Africa Ltd in 1976. The initial negotiation for the collection to be deposited at Rhodes University was done by the Rhodes University Chancellor, Dr William John Busschau, a former Chairman of Gold Fields of South Africa Ltd.
In the intervening years, further items have been sent to the Cory Library from time to time to be added to the original collection. This includes the archives from Gold Fields Zimbabwe, Bulawayo office. The records were transferred to the Cory Library in 1984 after the closure of the Bulawayo office. Subsequent deposits of Gold Fields include the South African records of Gold Fields of South Africa Ltd held by Consolidated Gold Fields in London.
The Gold Fields Collection consists of documents, manuscripts, maps, plans, memorabilia, photographs, pamphlets and a small collection of related artefacts relating to the foundation and early days of Gold Fields. The manuscripts consist of material relating to the history of Gold Fields and its subsidiaries, official records, notes, and letter-books of the companies, with a certain amount of private correspondence, including letters from Cecil John Rhodes, CD Rudd, EJ Birkenruth, Olive Schreiner and Rudyard Kipling. There is a large collection of photographs, mainly of mines, equipment, mining people and Rhodes himself. The book collection includes works on Cecil John Rhodes, the history of the Transvaal, Zimbabwe (Rhodesia) and other areas where Rhodes or Gold Fields had interests.
The Gold Fields Collection represents the most complete collection of manuscripts, and documents, reflecting the mining, financial and economic history of South Africa. It also covers the inter-war and post-World War II years and gives insight into the impact of the recession of that period on the South African economy. RU Goldfield
Rhodes University Prospectus PDF Download
- Rhodes University Undergraduate Prospectus 2024 – Download PDF
- Rhodes University Postgraduate Prospectus 2024 – Download PDF
- Rhodes University International Prospectus 2024 – Download PDF
Rhodes Application Date
Rhodes online application is expected to start on 1st August and close on 30 September 2023.
How much is Rhodes’s Application fee?
Initial applications for admission must be accompanied by a non-refundable application fee of R100 for all applicants.
Rhodes University Application Process
Please refer to the list of programmes still accepting applications for 2023 before application.
- To apply online visit: www.ru.ac.za/admissiongateway
- Register on the online system at https://ross.ru.ac.za/ using your email address and creating a password
- You will then be sent an email with a link to activate you on the system.
- Click the link to activate your registration.
- This process will take you back to ROSS where you need to click the Admission/another button (clicking the right button here is important)
- You will then be allowed to enter your login and password created in step one.
- Once you have completed your application you need to tick the button accepting the terms and conditions and submit.
- When you have submitted you are required to pay the R100 application fee. Various options are provided by the system.
- If you pay your application fee to the bank you need to use your application number as the reference and email the deposit slip to us.
- Once you have completed the process above we will process the application and you are provided with a student number and login.
Rhodes Contact Details
Head of Department
Department of Information Systems
P O Box 94
6140, Makhanda (Grahamstown)
Prince Alfred Street
6139, Makhanda (Grahamstown)
Telephone: +27 46 603 8244
For more information on Rhodes University click here. We do hope this article was helpful. You can ask your question in the comment section.