University Of Pretoria Civil Engineering
University Of Pretoria Civil Engineering; Civil engineering TUT
The Department of Civil Engineering has established a reputation for both the training of engineers and the advancement of knowledge via research, thus contributing to the development and maintenance of civil infrastructure within and outside South Africa. Graduates of the Department are sought after globally and many are working well beyond our borders.
The UP Civil Engineering Department has produced about 40% of all civil engineers in South Africa over the past 50 years. Many of these engineers have made major contributions to the development and wealth creation in South Africa over the years. We are proud of this history and are building on these achievements of the past with a new vision and strategic direction for the future.
The BEng degree course is structured to fully meet and even exceed the requirements of the Engineering Council of South Africa (ECSA) which is the stepping stone for registration as a professional engineer. Consequently, a BEng (Civil) degree from the University of Pretoria is a recognised qualification for working as an engineer well beyond the borders of South Africa.
The departmental staff are research active in all disciplines of civil engineering and hence, the Department offers postgraduate courses in the fields of Geotechnical Engineering, Water Resources Engineering, Structural Engineering, Transportation Engineering, Railway Engineering and Civil Engineering Materials. Currently, the Department has 200 students enrolled in BEng(Hons), MEng and PhD courses, many of whom are nationals from neighbouring Southern African Development Community (SADC) countries and further afield.
The vision of the facility is to provide an internationally renowned platform for academic and vocational training support in transportation infrastructure materials testing, a national transportation materials reference testing platform and high-quality research facilities and skilled staff. In the current scenario in South Africa where there is a dearth of civil engineering and other transportation engineering-related skills, it is vital to ensure that critical mass in these areas is developed and maintained. Civil engineering TUT
This can be achieved by optimising the utilisation of current facilities and staff available at the UP, SANRAL and CSIR through a managed partnership. The partnership will provide the following:
- High-quality facilities to provide a platform for quality training, reference testing and research in transportation engineering;
- A unified effort to train engineers, technologists, technicians, and materials testers for the transport engineering sector resulted in an increased number of civil engineers, technologists, technicians and material testers skilled in transportation engineering as well as post-graduate output, and
- A pipeline of transportation engineers exposed to the latest technologies and methods will be taken up in government, SANRAL and industry.
The main benefits to South Africa will include the following:
- Increased availability of technical skills in transportation engineering (numbers);
- Improved skills of transportation engineers, technologists and technicians (quality);
- Cost savings due to improvements in design, construction, maintenance and management of transportation infrastructure;
- Better performing transportation infrastructure due to improve quality control and the associated reduction in user operating costs, and
- Less impact on the environment from transport infrastructure construction and maintenance.
Undergraduate Courses in Civil Engineering
- BEng (Civil Engineering) ENGAGE (5-year programme)
- BEng (Civil Engineering) (4-year programme)
- Please follow the link for the Practical Training Report
- Please follow the link for the Practical Training Template
- Please follow the link for the Practical Training Report (Employer signature)
Please follow the link for the Civil Engineering General Induction Form
Please follow the link for the Civil Engineering Tools And Machinery Induction Form
Facsimile: (012) 362-5218
Tel: (012) 420-2925
For Undergraduate and Postgraduate administration (Application/Registration) enquiries:
Please refer to the Student Administration offices in Eng 1 6th floor
For all other technical enquiries, visit the Staff link for contact information of our staff in all the different fields of civil engineering