University Of Pretoria Veterinary
University Of Pretoria Veterinary; Veterinary schools in Africa
The Faculty of Veterinary Science is indispensable to the economy of the country and serves the interests of all the people of South Africa. Well known for its quality of training, research, services and community engagement, the Faculty aims to be an internationally accredited seat of veterinary excellence. It aims to better the lives of the average South African by benefitting from better nutrition and the growth of the South African agro-economy.
Being the only one of its kind in South Africa, the Faculty is solely responsible for the training of veterinarians and veterinary nurses. In 2017 and 2018 it was placed 30th and 37th among all veterinary schools in the world on the international Shanghai rankings for the respective years. The Veterinary Science course has also been ranked 43rd globally in the QS World University Rankings for 2019, the first time its course offering has been ranked by QS. In the same category, the Faculty is ranked 5th overall in the Southern Hemisphere. Our faculty is self-contained on the Onderstepoort Campus, which has access to state-of-the-art facilities to ensure that you are gaining experience in working with a variety of different animals. University Of Pretoria Veterinary
2024/2025 Undergraduate Faculty Brochure – extended closing dates
The Faculty offers the following undergraduate programmes: Veterinary schools in Africa
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science (BVSc)
- Bachelor of Veterinary Nursing (BVetNurs)
The following persons may be considered for admission:
- applicants who are currently in their final school year and have applied with their final results of the preceding year of schooling (Grade 11 or equivalent);
- applicants who have completed their final school year, but have not yet commenced further studies;
- applicants who have a certificate that is deemed by the University to be equivalent to the required National Senior Certificate (NSC) with university endorsement. This certificate must be certified by Universities South Africa (USAf);
- applicants who are currently enrolled on tertiary education;
- applicants who are graduates from another tertiary institution, or have been granted the status of a graduate of such an institution; and
- applicants who are graduates of another faculty at the University of Pretoria.
Please take note of the information below: Veterinary schools in Africa
- BVSc applicants, please refer to Annexure C in the Undergraduate Faculty Brochure, for the categories of students we admit based on the Merit Point Score.
- BVetNurs applicants, please refer to Annexure D in the Undergraduate Faculty Brochure, for the categories of students we admit based on the Merit Point Score.
- The Faculty, being the only one of its kind in South Africa, strives to select students from diverse backgrounds and ethnic representation.
- Designated ethnic groups (see Annexure C and Annexure D) are interpreted in terms of the Employment Equity Act 55 of 1998 and include black Africans, Coloureds and Indians.
- The highest-ranking applicants are selected until the capacity is reached within each category.
- The Admissions Committee of the Faculty of Veterinary Science may assign spaces to another category when there are insufficient applicants who meet the minimum criteria in a particular category.
- The final number of places offered to applicants is determined by the Admissions Committee, taking into account the teaching facilities and available resources.
- School-leaving and university applicants who are conditionally admitted will forfeit their placement if they fail to meet the conditions as set in Annexure G.
- To retain conditional admission, applicants, need to comply with the minimum subject requirements based on their final school year examination results.
- South African school-leaving applicants enrolled for the NSC or IEB who have forfeited their placement and who still comply with the minimum requirements will automatically be considered in the second round of selection in January
View the 2024/2025 Undergraduate Faculty Brochure with extended closing dates for applications
MORE INFORMATION BELOW
|Department/section||Contact number||Alternative contact number|
|Student Administration and Enrolment – for all student and prospective student-related issues and queries||012 529 8132||012 529 8202|
|Onderstepoort Veterinary Academic Hospital||0861 00 VETS (8387)|
|Anatomy and Physiology||012 529 8262||012 529 8267|
|Anatomy||012 529 8267||012 529 8262|
|Physiology||012 529 8262||012 529 8267|
|Electron Microscope Unit||012 529 8212||012 529 8497|
|Endocrine Research Laboratory||012 529 8188||012 529 8033|
|Plastination Unit||012 529 8267||012 529 8247|
|Companion Animal Clinical Studies||012 529 8260||012 529 8139|
|Paraclinical Sciences||012 529 8239||012 529 8057|
|Pharmacology and Toxicology||012 529 8239||012 529 8057|
|Phytomedicine||012 529 8525||012 529 8239|
|Pathology||012 529 8057||012 529 8239|
|Veterinary Public Health||012 529 8181||012 529 8239|
|Production Animal Studies||012 529 8013||012 529 8170|
|Epidemiology||012 529 8013||012 529 8170|
|Milk Laboratory||012 529 8405||012 529 8461|
|Poultry||012 529 8334||012 529 8224|
|Reproduction||012 529 8218||012 529 8216|
|Ruminant Health and Production||012 529 8241||012 529 8013|
|Production Animal Clinical||012 529 8013||012 529 8218|
|Veterinary Tropical Diseases||012 529 8269||012 529 8384|
|Centre for Veterinary Wildlife Studies||012 529 8508||012 529 8558|
|Equine Research Centre||012 529 8068||012 529 8508|
|Exotic Leather Research Centre||012 529 8542||012 529 8522|
|UP Biomedical Research Centre||012 529 8194||012 529 8337|
|Veterinary Genetics Laboratory||012 529 8240||012 529 8179|
|Dean||012 529 8082||012 529 8185|
|Deputy Dean of Teaching and Learning||012 529 8439||012 529 8185|
|Deputy Dean of Research and Postgraduate Studies||012 529 8185||012 529 8439|
|Faculty Manager||012 529 8203||012 529 8185|
|Communications and Media||012 529 8436||012 529 8201|
|Human Resources||012 529 8394||012 529 8500|
|Jotello F Soga Library||012 529 8009||012 529 8007|
|Education Innovation||012 529 8251||012 529 8232|
|Creative Studios||012 529 8195||012 529 8097|