UNISA University of South Africa
UNISA University of South Africa
The University of South Africa known as Unisa, is the largest university system in South Africa by enrollment. It attracts a third of all higher education students in South Africa. Through various colleges and affiliates, UNISA has over 400,000 students, including international students from 130 countries worldwide, making it one of the world’s mega universities and the only such university in Africa.
As a comprehensive university, Unisa offers both vocational and academic programmes, many of which have received international accreditation, as well as an extensive geographical footprint, giving their students recognition and employability in many countries the world over. The university lists many notable South Africans among its alumni, including two Nobel prize winners: Nelson Mandela, the first democratically elected president of South Africa and Archbishop Desmond Tutu.
Unisa’s Muckleneuk Campus is located in Pretoria and is a major landmark of the capital city. It was in 1972 that Unisa moved into its new home on Muckleneuk Ridge having vacated the old quarters in central Pretoria. The complex of buildings was designed by Bryan Sandrock Architects in the 1960s and expresses an international style characterised by monumental proportions and engineering feats like the cantilevered structures. The most striking feature is the long projection from the brow of the hill, supported by a giant steel girder resting on a massive column.
Also in Pretoria is the Sunnyside campus, the main area of student activity.
The Florida campus in Johannesburg is Unisa’s science campus. The College of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences and some departments of the College of Science, Engineering and Technology is housed here. The science campus contains 12 buildings, a library, two auditoriums and a large study area. It also includes a horticultural centre and a multipurpose research and training facility designed to meet the education and research needs of students in a range of programmes including agriculture, ornamental horticulture and nature conservation.
Dates for Unisa Applications
Applications for undergraduate degrees, honours degrees, and postgraduate diplomas for the upcoming academic year will be accepted from 1 September through 14 October. Undergraduate qualifications include Higher Certificates, Advanced Certificates, Diplomas, Advanced Diplomas, and Degrees. For the academic year, applications for admission to master’s and doctorate programs will be accepted between 11 September and 14 November.
NB: The University of South Africa’s application website will be open on August 19th for the upcoming academic year.
University of South Africa Online Application Fees UNISA 2024-2025
- R115 for online applications fees
- R185 for hard copy applications (hard copy applications will only be considered in exceptional cases)
- Use the student number you receive from Unisa AND the application fee reference number (ie STUDENT NUMBER 5370810030)
- Visit www.unisa.ac.za/paymentinfo for banking details and payment information.
READ: UNISA Application Dates
Kindly note the following;
- These fees are non-refundable even if you decide not to study with Unisa.
- Unisa does not accept cash at any of its offices.
- Any application submitted without an application fee paid on time will not be processed.
Who Can Apply?
- Everyone wanting to start a new qualification must apply for admission. This includes first-time Unisa applicants and Unisa students changing to a new qualification and/or specialization.
- If you are completing a higher certificate, you must apply for admission if you want to continue with further undergraduate studies.
- You must re-apply for admission if you previously applied for admission and were offered a space, but did not accept the offer and/or did not register for any reason.
- Everyone planning to enrol in classes at a Technical Vocational Education and Training (TVET) college under the Unisa-TVET agreement must apply for admission.
- Undergraduate qualifications
- Honours degrees & postgraduate diplomas
- Master’s & doctoral qualifications
- Short Learning Programmes
- A valid copy of your school qualifications (eg Senior Certificate, National Senior Certificate)
- A certified copy of your official tertiary academic record(s) (if applicable) (internet copies will not be accepted)
- An original copy of your ID document (RSA students) or ID/passport (international students)
- A certified copy of your marriage certificate (if applicable) or divorce decree (if applicable)
- Sworn translations of documents if they are not in English or Afrikaans
How to apply for UNISA Application
- You may apply for a maximum of two qualifications, ranked in order of preference (although you may only register for one should both of your qualifications be successful).
- Unisa will inform you of the outcome of your application. If successful, Unisa will indicate for which qualification you have been accepted and will offer you a space for the period for which you have applied (ie semester 1).
- You must accept or decline Unisa’s offer within the prescribed period of time. If you miss this deadline, Unisa will withdraw the offer and give your space to another applicant.
- First-time applicants to Unisa will be required to complete the First-Year Experience (FYE) MOOC (massive open online course) before being able to accept Unisa’s offer.
- You may only accept one offer. This means that when you accept an offer for one qualification (irrespective of whether it is your first or second qualification of choice), the other offer will automatically fall away.
- If you accept Unisa’s offer, you must register for the period for which you have been granted admission. Should you not register for the relevant semester of study, you will need to re-apply for admission during the next application period. UNISA Application 2024-2025
All students must book a space before visiting any Unisa office
- Preller Street, Muckleneuk Ridge, Pretoria
- Sunnyside campus (applications, registrations & learning centre):
- Cnr Justice Mahomed & Steve Biko Streets, Sunnyside, Pretoria
For more information on Unisa click here. We do hope this article was helpful. You can ask your question in the comment section.